Sunday 23 October 2011

13/10/11 and 14/10/11

On Thursday I joined the UWI interns for a suturing lesson and learnt about continuous and discontinuous stitching as well as the different types of thread used. Hopefully I will be able to do some sutures of my own soon!
On Friday I spent the morning with the nurses in triage which is where the patients are first assessed; the nurses take blood pressure, glucose and urine tests as well as a brief history of the complaint. Depending on the seriousness of their stats and complaint depends on whether they are seen by the triage doctor, sent straight to the ER or sent home. I tested the blood sugar of several of the patients until a call from ER came through recalling all doctors and nurses back to ER as there had been a bus crash and all the injured persons were coming to the hospital. Back in the ER I was given a pen and paper and followed one of the nurses around as she gave some of the wounded a painkiller and I took down their names for the records later. As it turned out most of the injured where walking wounded - only one, a pregnant woman, was hurt badly enough to be admitted.

No comments:

Post a Comment